Monday, November 05, 2012

Milk buns -- conventional and Sourdough recipes

Milk Buns

Large sweet rolls are often served for breakfast or afternoon "merienda" in The Philippines. Sometimes the bread is split and topped with sugar while baking. It makes a good breakfast food, served with butter or jam.

Conventional method with yeast (I will explain my sourdough adaptation at the bottom of this recipe).

Prep Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours

Ingredients:

lukewarm milk 200g
2 envelopes (1/2 oz) dry yeast 19g
2 eggs
softened butter 100 g butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar 140 g sugar
3 cups unbleached white flour 400 g flour
4-6 Tbsp vegetable oil 60 to 90g
Preparation:

This Recipe makes 8 large rolls or 8 servings for breakfast.

Warm milk and pour into a glass measuring cup. Mix in the dried yeast until completely dissolved. Cover with a small kitchen towel and set in a warm place, away from drafts for 10 minutes.

Cream butter and sugar in a medium size mixing bowl. Beat egg into the butter-sugar mixture. Add yeast-milk mixture and mix thoroughly. Don't use yeast for the sourdough method.

Add flour to mixing bowl, a 1/2 cup at a time. Mix in flour with a wooden spoon until dough forms a ball. If necessary, add additional flour 1 Tbsp at a time until soft dough is formed.

Dust dough with 1 Tbsp flour. Cover bowl with a wet kitchen towel and place in a warm spot, away from drafts. Allow to rise for 30 minutes.

After rising, dough will be soft, spongy and sticky. Coat hands with oil. Uncover and kneed dough 5-6 times. Separate dough into 4 pieces. Form into balls or rectangles and place on cookie sheet or baking stone. Allow to rise for 15 minutes.

Pre-heat oven to 400F (200C). Bake bread for 7 minutes. Remove and brush bread with vegetable oil. Return to oven and continue to bake for 7-10 minutes. Remove when bread begins to brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve with butter or jam.

SOURDOUGH METHOD
To make this without yeast or using 'wild' yeast as they say, I simply start the night before with 100g of my starter which is always ripe now, as I bake nearly everyday.

I add all the milk (cold) to a bowl and stir in my starter (100g). Then I had half of the flour (200g) but I rarely use just white bread flour as I like to add small amounts of healthy ingredients so that the taste isn't affected too much (last time I used 150g whole spelt 50g whole wheat and 200g white bread flour for the whole recipe).

I mix it well and allow it to sit at room temperature for 2 hours, then I place it in the fridge over night (8 or 9 hours).

In the morning I follow the rest of the recipe adding the dough I did last night into the sugar, butter (soft) and egg (cold) mixture. Then I add the rest of the flour, knead and let sit at room temperature for 3 hours before dividing into buns and then I just follow the conventional recipe.

Some people might be concerned about allowing such a mixture to remain at room temperature for more than 1 hour but I believe there is little risk unless the milk, eggs or butter are already rancid. Just a heads up in case you think somebody with a fragile immune system had better not take the risk of eating the sourdough version of this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre