Monday, March 23, 2009

HP bad, Shawn Good -- how to recover your laptop from static discharge

If your laptop has the symptoms (below) then here is how you discharge the static electricity.
Symptoms: the computer has failed to start. The lights on the keyboard light up but the screen doesn't and the hard drive doesn't start up.

1.Disconnect the AC Adapter.
2. Remove the battery
3.Hold the Power button down for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4.Reconnect the Battery and AC adapter.
5.Turn on the notebook power.


If you are saddled with an HP in Canada, this is the chat interface for . . .
 http://www.hp.com/support/chat



You'll need internet explorer or firefox (\Chrome wasn't supported for their chat).


shawn : Twice in the last 2 months the computer has failed to start . . . the lights on the keyboard light up but the screen doesn't
[An agent will be with you shortly.]
[You are now chatting with Kamryn .]
shawn : hi Kamryn
Kamryn : Hello Shawn.
Kamryn : Welcome to HP Total Care for Notebooks.
shawn : thanks
Kamryn : My pleasure.
Kamryn : I understand that your Notebook is not turning on. Am I correct?
shawn : yes, that's correct
shawn : the lights on the keyboard turn on but the hard drive doesn't make any noise and the screen doesn't light up
Kamryn : Okay.
Kamryn : May I know whether you have installed any new Hardware or Software in tyour Notebook?
shawn : I haven't
Kamryn : Okay.
Kamryn : Could you please provide me the Serial number and Product number of the Notebook so that I can assist you in a better way?
Kamryn : You can find the Serial number and the Product number beneath the Notebook on a white sticker.

For example, the Serial number will be like "CNF5250724" (or) "CNF5250724DL".
Where as the Product number will be like "EC186UA".

shawn : just a sec
Kamryn : Sure, please take your time. I am with you
shawn  : CNF8240S70
Kamryn : Thank you for the information.
Kamryn : Could you please provide me the Product number of the Notebook?

You can find the Product number beneath the Notebook on a white sticker. For example, the Product number will be like "EC186UA".

shawn  : just a sec
shawn  : Fe836UA#ABC
Kamryn : Thank you for the information.
Kamryn : I will provide you the steps to perform Power Drain, it is to neutralize the static charges in the Notebook.
shawn : ah, ok. So that's the problem
Kamryn : to isolate the issue, let us perform Power Drain.
Shawn : ok
Kamryn : Please perform the steps for Power Drain and let me know the result:

1.Disconnect the AC Adapter.
2. Remove the battery
3.Hold the Power button down for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4.Reconnect the Battery and AC adapter.
5.Turn on the notebook power.

shawn : ok
shawn : I'll do that now
Kamryn : Okay.
shawn : ok, it seems to be working
shawn : the screen has lit up
shawn : it's booting
shawn : good, thanks
Kamryn : That is great.
shawn : can you give me the location of a service center in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada where I can take the battery to be checked and/or replaced?
Kamryn : I appreciate your efforts in resolving the issue.
Kamryn : Radio Shack, CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples are the HP Authorized service centers.
shawn : ah, so these places will service my laptop under the warranty that is still valid?
Kamryn : Shawn, they may charge for the service. We do not have any information of Service centers.
Kamryn : For your convenience I will provide the weblink whch has steps to check the battery status.
shawn : ok, good. But what about my warrranty?
Kamryn : I have checked the warranty of your Notebook and the Notebook has Warranty up to 02/08/2010.
shawn : yes, thank you
Kamryn : You are most welcome.
Kamryn : Please check with the steps in the below weblink to check battery status.
Kamryn : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00821536
shawn : ok
Kamryn : Are you able to access the weblink?
shawn : yes, I'm sure I can. I wonder if you can tell me how to use my warranty . . . if the service centers may charge what they will, what good is my warranty?
Kamryn : Shawn, I shall explain.
shawn : ok, thank you
Kamryn : To utilize the warranty you can send the Notebook directly to HP for mail-in repair, if notebook has any Hardware related issues.
shawn : ok . . . do you guys offer a courier service?
Kamryn : Yes, UPS is the courier service.
shawn : ok great. So they will ship it back and forth for no charge right?
Kamryn : Yes, the entire repair including shipping is free of cost.
shawn  : hmmm . . . that surprises me, but ok good
shawn  : do I need to give them a special service code or just call them up?
shawn  : I guess I need to do the battery test first
Kamryn : You can contact HP Chat support to arrange the mail-in repair service.
shawn : should I take the battery in somewhere to be tested . . . save myself the trouble of mailing it and waiting for the HP tech center to service it?
Kamryn : If you are taking the Notebook to Service centers they may charge for the issue.
Kamryn : We do not have any information regarding service centers.
shawn : well, if they test it that will save me time . . . it's my main computer
shawn : any standard on the timing for service to Canada? If I ship it to the techies in HP, how long will I need to wait for it to come back?
Kamryn : I shall explain the process.
Kamryn : Once we arrange the mail-in service, A service order has been initiated to return your product to a HP repair facility where it will be repaired and returned to the address you provided.

Kamryn : In this process, a box with the required packaging material, packaging instructions, carrier contact information and a pre-paid shipping label will be delivered to your address.
Kamryn : Once you have received these materials and have packaged your product, you will need to contact the carrier to schedule a pick-up. Your repair service has an estimated turn around time of 7 to 9 business days from when we receive your product at our repair center. 
shawn  : ok, that's a bit long for me . . . Don't know how I could function without my laptop for that long.
shawn  : Will it do me any good to have a service center check the battery for faults?
Kamryn : You can check with the avialable options to check the Battery in the Service center.
shawn  : ok
shawn  : the link you gave me returned a health check on my battery
shawn  : it's health is 'good'. So this was probably just a static charge problem and I should forget about it?
Kamryn : Yes, you are correct.
shawn  : ok, thanks for your help Kamryn
Kamryn : As you got the message Batery Health is good, the Battery is fine.
Kamryn : You are most welcome.

Kamryn : Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
shawn  : I don't think so . . . Oh yeah . . . I'm really disappointed with the Vista operating system do you guys offer any rollback to XP programs or . . .
shawn : possibly a push up to win7 when it's released?
Kamryn : Shawn, HP does not recommend downgading the operating system from Vista to XP, this is because HP does not have any tested information of XP on your Notebook, and one more thing is that HP has not yet released all the drivers of XP for your Notebook.


shawn : ok, what about the whole vista issue anyway? Everybody knows it's a lousy operating system . . . so when do those of us who purchased a vista machine get a solution to owning a bad product?
Kamryn : Shawn, to install XP in your Notebook you have to purchase retail version of Operating System Discs and have to install XP.However, we will provide the drivers which are required for XP Operating System.HP does not have any tested information of XP Drivers for your Notebook.
shawn  : ok, so you are telling me that it's microsoft I should be talking to about this and not you.
shawn  : ok, thanks
shawn  : Have a good day
Kamryn : You are most welcome.

Kamryn : Thank you for contacting HP Total Care Real-Time chat support. If you need further assistance, please contact us again at http://www.hp.com/support/chat. Chat support is available 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
Kamryn : Have a nice time.
Kamryn : Bye Shawn.
shawn : bye bye

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre