Monday, October 06, 2008

HWP viewer from Haansoft -- For reading documents in Hangeul

updated: March 8th, 2009

I finally found that hwp viewer again. I'd managed to find it about a year ago, but then the link went dead or just stopped working . . . it would download 3/4ths of the way and then just hang.

Now, here it is:



Here is a screensot of the home page.

1. hover your mouse over the 'Download' button as illustrated below (the Korean sounds out like Da-oon-lo-du).

2. Click on the 'Viewer' button (sounds like Byu-eoh).

3. Go to the next illustration.

haansoft_viewer_screenshot1


4. click on the image of a disc (see red circle below) and it should begin to download the haansoft viewer executable file - it's 51 MB and its name is 'haansoftviewer2007.exe' -- worked fine on my Windows Vista.


next illustration/screenshot

haansoft_viewer_screenshot2



Unfortunately, for those of you who cannot read Korean (Hangeul) the site has no English. Okay, not precisely true -- in fact they do have English on the website but they don't offer the download for their free viewer -- they only offer investor info.  Also, as seems to be the rule in Korea, you cannot link directly to anything in Haansoft's website -- it's all smoke and mirrors using Adobe Flash. It did work for me in the Google Chrome browser however, which was a bit surprising.


8 comments:

  1. I realize that this is an old post, but THANK YOU.

    Heck, I can read Hangul - slowly - and even I was having a difficult time finding a viewer.

    I find it incredibly offensive that this company hides their free viewer from those who are not adept at reading Hangul. To have an English website and then to deliberately make it useless is just blasted absurd.

    Anyway, my short rant aside, your post was quite helpful. Thanks again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't really follow the instruction,it leads to hansoft homepage once i click it.i can't read any Korean,so it leads to nowhere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Kay, I see your problem. I'm just about to upload a new screenshot which should make it a little more clear. In about 10 minutes you should be able to see where to click. I'll update the post instructions too if they seem unclear to me -- in a sec.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a bunch. I'm downloading the viewer and luckily, I can at least speak the language. I'm going to korea to teach english... therefore, i need this file to open for my visa. Thank you and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pleasure, enjoy! I don't have any need for this anymore, now that I'm living in Canada again, but I'm glad somebody is finding it helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was able to download this haansoftviewer2007.exe program thanks to your great directions! Thank you! However, when i click on my .hwp file to open it, my "user account control" pops up saying an "unidentified program wants access to your computer", which I click "allow". Then a box with an "X" in a red circle for "HOfficeViewer70" and a bunch of strange text (including 1/2 1/4 3/4, etc) pops up. Any suggestions? Should I try removing the haansoft program and reinstalling it? Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natalie,

    Yes, I think the first thing I would try is to uninstall and then reinstall the program. It sounds like you have a Vista machine but I also have Vista and never encountered that problem with HWP.

    If you can login as administrator for your computer and then install it that might also help to solve your problem. Also, I might try to open a different .hwp document. Perhaps there is just an error in the one document you have?

    If you still have trouble let me know and I will do what I can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, my wife had this before and we lost it.

    ReplyDelete

banner in centre