Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Saturday, Costco

This title was brought to you by Eric Carle's Today is Monday.

We went to Costco just for the blueberries. Gabi was pretty easy to keep track of for a change. I think she's getting a better understanding about what it would be like to get lost in Korea. She'd probably wind up in somebodies soup if she started crying to the wrong people!

Got stopped by a cop for the first time in about a year. I was passing on the highway in the bus lane, it's marked with blue lines. Luckily, I got over my consternation about getting a ticket long enough to ask the police officer if it is every "okay to pass using the bus lane". He explained to me that it's fine to do so on the weekdays but not on weekends and then he also told me that he wasn't going to give me a ticket as I was ignorant of the laws. NICE!

Afterward, I scrupulously avoided that bus lane despite the swarms of other vehicles bobbing back and forth between the 'off-limits' bus-lane. I still have a perfect driving record in Korea. Speaking of traffic regulations, it doesn't appear that most Koreans have any respect for the law at all. I certainly have never gone a day without seeing plenty of left turns on red lights, not to mention people driving right through a red light and other more minor stuff like changing lanes in intersections and also while turning (of course I've known some NZers that do that too) -- as far as the traffic laws are concerned, everything goes, and this will continue I'm sure, until the police get out of the station and start patrolling the streets.

Another thing that really annoys me is the police in their cruisers ALWAYS have their lights flashing. I actually had a very strong urge to pull over a few times when there was a patroller behind me as in Canada this means "get the fuck over now". In Korea it seems to be a simple identification thing. As if the police are saying "I know I'm driving a well-marked police vehicle but just in case somebody doesn't notice I think we should keep the overhead lights flashing all the time".

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre