Monday, April 07, 2008

Good to know -- Caffeine and the nursing mom - BabyCenter

Thanks to Google Notebook (though it seems a bit buggy as I needed to login to blogger before it would do this for me) I'm able to easily keep track of info like this (which I could easily summarize but I'd rather not take the time):

Caffeine and the nursing mom - BabyCenter: "Does the caffeine I eat or drink get into my breast milk? Could it harm my baby?
Caffeine does enter your bloodstream, and some portion of what you eat or drink shows up in your breast milk. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, if you consume more than 300 milligrams of caffeine a day (what you may get from one strongly brewed 8-ounce cup of coffee), it might affect your baby. That's why it's probably best to restrict your intake while breastfeeding.

Although one or two cups of moderately caffeinated coffee, tea, or soda aren't likely to affect either of you, more might make one or both of you irritable, jittery, agitated, and sleepless. If you want to have a cup or two of coffee or tea a day while nursing, keep in mind that the caffeine in your milk will peak about an hour after you ingest it. And make a conscious effort to drink at least eight glasses of water every day as well because caffeine can make you dehydrated, which is not good for your breast milk supply.

If the caffeine seems to bother your baby, you may want to cut it out of your diet until after you've stopped breastfeeding. Your baby's body processes caffeine more slowly than yours does, so it could be a few days before the caffeine is completely out of his system.

How much caffeine is in my favorite foods and beverage?

Go to the link above to get the rest of the info . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre