Friday, December 01, 2006

White



I found this video called 'White' appropriately enough, on a site that displays a series of short, wacky videos on the theme of colours.

If you are driving in Cheonan, exhibit extreme caution as one in two vehicles are driving with a snow covered windshield. White is the colour that most cars in Cheonan are displaying today as it snowed wet and sleety snow last night. Without the benefit of a good scraper you really cannot do anything with the icy snow until the sun melts it off of your car. According to the weather forecast this is not likely to happen until Monday.

A New Zealand friend of mine told me that they typically pour water on their windshield to rid it of ice and snow. An idea that I must say I find alarming but if it works, it works. Such a technique would not benefit you, if you were living in Edmonton where the temperatures often remain well below -20 degrees C for extended periods -- at such temperatures even salty water becomes quite frozen in no time.

Naturally enough with the temperature dropping here I begin to think about the +38 degrees C of the Philippines -- somewhat wistfully. At the moment I am SOL as all of the air traffic in and out of Korea is nasty busy. A homogeneous society has a certain amount of, let us call it homogeneity and so everybody wants to travel at almost precisely the same time. Going to the Philippines before Christmas would cost me between 1.3 and 1.6 million Won (about 1300 to 1600 USD for a four hour flight!).

And so I humbly submit to the majority and await the time when I can fly for the more reasonable 300,000 to 600,000 Won range. Meanwhile, my daughter is growing at a freakish rate and I am missing it all, save for the occasional webcam photo. It is so hard to reconcile the passage of time, she is now nearly 8-months-old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre