Friday, November 03, 2006

cumin -- that magical seed -- Holy Guacamole!

I've been on the lookout for cumin every since I discovered that my only source of whole cumin, Jasper foods in Itaewon, had shutdown.

Asian foods, just a few doors down from the main entrance to Cheonan station is now a confirmed source of fresh whole cumin seeds. Hooray!

Now my guacamole making can commence yet again. Hooray again. For those of you that think ground cumin could do in a pinch I say this to you: "Pthththth"!

Yup, just up late again. This time I'm slapping together some materials for a short language exchange tomorrow. Finally had some birthday cake. I guess I should have done it sooner. Although I'm not sure if it was the cake or the cumin that picked up my spirits.

Whatever the case may be I had better come clean on my latest experiment. I've been wearing the same pants everyday for the last 3 weeks. Tomorrow, I think, will be the end of the experiment. I was determined to wait until they could stand up on their own and then just toss them in the garbage but I'm rather fond of them now so I think I'll throw them in the wash tomorrow and have done with the experiment.

Working at a different location each day certainly does give one a certain amount of freedom with re-dressing (i.e. putting the same clothes on the two or more days in a row, much like re-gifting but perhaps with a smellier end result).

Guacamole
  • 1 hass avacado (other varieties are okay if yer in a pinch)
  • 1 teaspoon of whole cumin seeds (more or less to taste)
  • salt
  • cracked pepper (yup whole pepper corns squashed under a knife)
  • 4 cloves of garlic crushed under a knife blade and diced
  • 1 small tomato diced
  • 1 green onion diced
  • 1/2 a white onion diced
  • fresh coriander diced
  • lime juice to taste (lemon juice will do)
  • jalapeno peppers (spicy green peppers will do)
If your avocado is not ripe (soft and yielding to the touch) toss it into an opaque plastic bag and put it in some dark, warm corner for a day or so. Be sure to check for ripeness daily!

Mush your ripe Hass avocado with the lime (or lemon if necessary) juice until pastey. Add all of the other ingredients.

Taste.

Add more garlic, cumin, pepper and spicy peppers (I don't give a shit if it's already too spicy. Add some more spicy peppers anyway)!

Eat with bread, corn chips, omeletes, salad, chicken, fish, yer fingers and what-have-you.

I do NOT recommend combining guacamole with ice-cream (but raw squid is sometimes nice).

Despite what Merriam-Webster has to say on the topic I do not consider most of the other ingredients in guacamole to be mere condiments, but I'm not too interested in a fight anyhow.

I'm off to Costco for some Hass avocados this weekend! Wooohooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre