Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Yeah it slipped by me. I missed the Canadian Thanksgiving. We just had a holiday over here as well -- Chuseok. It was nice to be able to relax, read, and chill at home. But I was a little down because I had decided that I couldn't afford the flight to the Philippines so I couldn't go and see my ladies.

Now I'm thinking about the North Korean nuclear scenario and I will have to admit it has me a touch scared. Don't get me wrong, I'm not concerned that Kim Jeong Il will be stupid enough to start a nuclear war. I am a little worried that the international community and the financial markets will begin to take a scare and plunge the won into the ground.

This is the first time since I've been in Korea that I've started to accumulate savings in Korea instead of filtering it all back to my Canadian bank. If the Korean Won tanks, my tidy little nest egg will get cracked. But it seems unlikely that anything really serious will come of current North Korean policy, so even if the won drops dramatically it should recover pretty quickly.

The good news is that most folk will be scared about this whole political situation and stay away from South Korea in the short term. My services as a teacher will become a scarce commodity and perhaps I can expect a fatter paycheque or a better contract deal!

Meanwhile, I'm still finding all of my leisure to be a little bit too much to handle. I really don't feel like studying Korean and it's hard to find good books to read. So, I'm constantly fighting with my nightowl self about my natural bedtime and giving up my mornings for dubious night time pleasures.

Charlize turns 6 months shortly, I will post an update of her measurements after Saturday when she sees her doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre