Monday, May 08, 2006

Hard to Please

Yeah, that seems to be my condition these days. By the way, for those of you traveling in the Philippines looking for the inside info before you get inside.

The going rate for tricycles in Kalibo is 6.5 pesos (6 pesos and 50 centavos) for a standard ride. I'm not sure how long a standard ride is but so far I've had no complaints and I've gone on some pretty long rides. The tricycle to the airport is a bit of a different story. Expect to pay between 15 and 30 pesos to get out there but the scheduled fee for a return to Kalibo proper is only 9 pesos. The catch is that you may have to wait a long time for other passengers or if you don't want to wait you could pay the equivalent of a whole tricycle full of passengers (that's 6 passengers including yourself so 54 pesos or 50 pesos).

Okay, most people are going to say that I'm talking about a dollar here so what the f***. Hey I've been here for a grand total of nearly 4 months with Rosi and now my daughter. If I can save some money during my stay here I can put that towards Charlize's education or Rowena's dental work, plus I always feel really ripped off when I pay 10 to 20 times the Pinoy (Filipino) price.

On Boracay the day before yesterday I was asked to pay 100 pesos for a tricycle ride to Cagvan (the only port that will get you off the island these days) but the going rate is between 15 and 20 pesos. Even if I didn't know the going rate I would have twigged onto the tricycle drivers excited, incredulous voice:

"Cagvan?!!!! 100 Pesos!!!!?"

The whole idea of ripping off strangers just makes me want to puke. It's like asking somebody that rolls into Edmonton to pay $25 for a bottle of beer. Would somebody really do that in Edmonton?

I really, really hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre