Sunday, May 28, 2006


Daejeon Immigration office

I've come to Daejeon to register for residency but the young pup behind the desk insists that I must once again produce my orginal diploma. Home again, home again jiggity jig.

Too bad Cheonan doesn’t have it’s own full time office! I wonder how many more federal officials will want a gander at all of my documents? Maybe universities should start to offer wallet sized diplomas.

The Daejeon immigration office address is:

# 16-8 Jungchon-dong Jung-gu Daejeon

If you take a taxi from Daejeon station it's only about 3000 Won to get there and curiously, only 2500 Won to get back.

Just give the following note to your taxi driver:

중촌동 선병원앞 대전출입국관리사무소
(Dajeon Immigration Office across fron the Sun Hospital in Jungchon dong).
If the above characters look odd that's okay but they may not print out the way they need to if your computer isn't configured to show Korean characters. So just click on the picture below and print it:

A map of the Daejeon immigration office in Korean and English

Update May 30th, 2006:

I finally made it to Immigration with all of the paperwork that I was asked for yesterday. I also managed to fill out an express form so that when my alien card is ready in about 1 week it will be delivered to me in Cheonan.

You have 90 days from your date of entry to apply for your alien registration card. The immigration office in Daejeon will want to see your:

  • passport
  • visa number issuance paper (ask your boss for this)
  • Confirmation of Diploma form (you need the address of your university and contact numbers)
  • original diploma
  • Application for Alien Residence form
  • 2 passport sized photos (some people say 3, I don't know why)
  • money (a 10,000 won stamp for the processing fee of the Alien Registration card, plus if you want a multiple re-entry visa, an additonal 50,000 won (5 more stamps))

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre