Sunday, November 06, 2005

Another Sleepless Night

In the last 24 hours:
  • cigarettes; 48
  • glasses of water; 22
  • cheese; 150 grams (Gruyere and Old Cheddar)
  • Hungarian salami; 100 grams
  • french baugettes; one
  • coffee; two instant cups
  • sex; one txt-sex session
  • porcelain throne; zero sessions (cheese is binding)

In my 30-odd years of life I've experienced a good deal of sleepless nights, not necessarily because of a troubled life although I think I've had more than my fair share of trouble, but as a pastime, a sort of hobby that I started when I was eight.

Last night I found myself hungrily devouring a good book, Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card. As the hours slipped by, from late evening to midnight, and far beyond until this mornings wake-up bell in fact, I was reminded of my two most favoured pastimes in my childhood: Reading and staying up for as long as possible.

My personal record was somewhere around 72 to 80 hours of sleeplessness and as I recall I must have read 5 or 6 science fiction books in that time period, as well as going about the regular life of an eight-year-old. You know, going to school, getting bullied on the streets, not speaking to a soul for days-on-end, sitting in on standardized exams, passing-out whilst I groggily bicycled to school, painfully waking to find myself laying on the hood of a parked car, my bicycle laying bent and scratched upon the pavement.

When I think about it, quite a lot has changed in my life really. Now, I'm glad to be alive, although sometimes I'm not as thankful as I should be. These days. I sleep on a bus on the way to school instead of falling asleep at the handlebars, I try to sleep the night before any important meetings or exams, I never get bullied, and I rarely go for more than a six-hour stretch without speaking to somebody.

I guess that is why, whenever I hear somebody say:"I wish I was a kid again". I'm just not receptive to their sentiment at all -- I'm just glad the hell is over and I never want to go back.

Categories: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre