Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Schiller's Last Prayer


schiller's last prayer
Originally uploaded by seaniz.

The Lord's prayer on the head of a pin. Comes from the following source:
www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Prayer.html

Unbelievable! Shiller used a tool too small to be seen by the human eye to carve a prayer onto the head of several pins -- going blind in the process.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread but lead us not into tempation. Lead us not to trespass against those who trespass against us and deliver us from evil -- Amen

Okay my memory has suffered over the last 20 years. I said this prayer five days a week for 9 years, from grade 1 to grade 9 in St. Something or other Elementary - Junior High School. Here's the actual prayer:

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Here is another prayer of sorts that I learned when I'd graduated from High School, but was languishing for 2 or 3 years in a hell of sorts called Earls on Whyte Avenue in Edmonton, Alberta in the kitchen:

Day after Day, Love turns gray,
Like the skin on a dying man.
And night after night we pretend it's alright.
But, I have grown older and you have grown colder,
And nothing, is very much fun anymore,
And, I can feel another one of my turns coming on.
I feel, cold as a razor blade, tight as a tourniquet, dry as a funeral drum.
Run to the bedroom in the suitcase on the left you'll find my favourite axe.
Don't look so frightened, it's just a passing phase one of my bad days.
Would you like to watch TV or get between the sheets, contemplate the silent freeway?

Not a bad little bit of recollection actually -- my recall is pretty good for things that I can make a connection too. Here are the actual lyrics for "One of my turns":
Day after day, love turns grey
Like the skin of a dying man.
Night after night, we pretend its all right
But I have grown older and
You have grown colder and
Nothing is very much fun any more.
And I can feel one of my turns coming on.
I feel cold as a razor blade,
Tight as a tourniquet,
Dry as a funeral drum.

Run to the bedroom,
In the suitcase on the left
You'll find my favorite axe.
Don't look so frightened
This is just a passing phase,
One of my bad days.
Would you like to watch T.V.?
Or get between the sheets?
Or contemplate the silent freeway?
Would you like something to eat?
Would you like to learn to fly?
Would'ya?
Would you like to see me try?

Would you like to call the cops?
Do you think it's time I stopped?
Why are you running away?

It's raining again. I love the rain. Not sure why exactly. It does so often exert a melancholy pressure upon me. But it's also an incredible source of energy -- especially if it's an electrical storm.

The rain in Canada can be seen coming for fully two hours or more prior to the storm it was quite clear to me that the rain was coming. Big sky country can be such a joy when you get to witness the gradual build up of a storm. First, clouds began to gather far on the horizon. Slowly, they moved towards us. Soon they were filling a quarter of the sky to the West. Then a wind began to blow. Gently at first. Slowly, growing stronger and more aromatic by the minute. By the time the wind had built up to the point of blowing napkins from the tables we all knew it was time to begin moving for cover. As one, the celebrants began to collect plates and foods and drink, glasses and cutlery, moving them into the house. When the last perishable item had been placed within the kitchen and all the participants were safely indoors, continuing the party, the rain started. Afterwards, there was a gorgeous full rainbow -- the kind you see maybe once, maybe twice in a lifetime.


Categories: , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre