Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I love Korea -- I hate Korea

Well, I'm still here so I guess you could say I love Korea more than I hate it. Top on my list for the things I love is the way the people here traditionally live on the floor! Not everybody but plenty of folk;
  • eat at a small table that allows you to sit on the floor
  • sleep on the floor
  • watch TV on the floor
  • my students at JaRam do almost all of their work on the floor
Why? Because the floor is awesome! It's like a huge bed with no squeaky springs. I wish I'd discovered this fabulous idea when I was 13 and cursing my parents for not buying me a new mattress. I had to put up with the same mattress from about age 7 to 13, and it was a tiny piece of shit. My back ached most every day. Strangely enough when my back got messed up I cured it by sleeping on the floor. So why didn't I just ditch that rusty urine-stained rag? I guess I just couldn't accept the idea of sleeping on the floor.

Now things are different. I sleep on the floor (on a Yo -- a Korean style bed that's about 4cm thick). I have dinner on the floor. I still have dinner in front of the TV, but I also watch TV on the floor. Sometimes I sit on the couch, but to be honest I like the floor better. I'm sitting on the floor right now as I type this post! Sometimes my legs get a bit stiff sitting cross-legged but as I recall my ass used to fall asleep when I used a chair too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre