Monday, October 04, 2004

Dorothy Parker's Resume


Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't noble;
Nooses give;
Gases smell awful;
Might as well live.

Dorothy Parker

This was the first poem of hers that I ever read, but it made me read many of her other works.
I went on the net to find the exact wording of this poem (my memory being quite foggy at times) but the versions I saw on the net seemed different from what I remembered from a book that I bought about 10 to 12 years ago (Dorothy Parker and the vicious circle -- I think). Since I left that book behind along with a lifetime of other belongings that wouldn't fit into 2 small suitcases a carry-on backpack and a soft mandolin case (filled with coffee and a mandolin) I cannot be certain, but the above version seems correct to me and I prefer it-- unlike the following version.
Resume
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.
Picture: A nuclear explosion. Posted by Hello

Categories: , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

banner in centre